In 2008, the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) adopted the sport of Jiu-Jitsu in the curriculum of public schools in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and the Western Region. This initiative was initially implemented in 14 schools, but the overwhelming success was way beyond expectations, prompting the initiative to be expanded to 46 schools in 2012. The number of schools that have adopted the Jiu-Jitsu program in the emirate surpassed 130 in 2016, with over 76,000 students participating.
In 2008, the Jiu-Jitsu program targeted students in the 6th and 7th grades, but was later expanded to Grades 6 to 12. In 2013, the Abu Dhabi Education Council launched the sixth edition of the Jiu-Jitsu schools program with four levels namely internal competitions within each school; external competitions between different schools; emirate-level competitions among the top schools in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and the Western Region; and the elite level of World Championship finals to be held in April each year.
Vision of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Schools Program
Abu Dhabi strives for excellence in Jiu-Jitsu at a global level by nurturing, training and motivating a generation of talented students and giving them all forms of support to reach the highest international standards.
Core values of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Schools Program
The Jiu-Jitsu Schools Program was designed to teach the following important values to students :
- Respect for others through words and actions
- Discipline and accepting the consequences of one’s actions without hesitation
- Determination to overcome any challenges and continuously strive for improvement
- Commitment to the core values of society
- Sportsmanship by staying graceful in both victory and defeat
Goals of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Schools Program
- Provide training for students in an entertaining framework to inspire the highest levels of self-development.
- Encourage self-improvement within each student.
- Enhance health, fitness, self-defense and self-discipline among young people.
- Build a strong national team by nurturing a new generation of Jiu-Jitsu champions.
- Motivate students to participate in Jiu-Jitsu training during the school year.
- Give students the opportunity to develop their talents and genuinely care for the sport.
- Motivate students to enter competitions at national, regional and international level.
- Provide a safe and supportive environment to perfect their skills and improve the skills of instructors.
- Promote commitment, respect, discipline, determination and sportsmanship as important values.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle for all students.
Top-notch international instructors with exceptional skills are recruited to deliver the Jiu-Jitsu School Program to students.
Evaluation of students
The Jiu-Jitsu School Program assesses students on two main factors: Subjective and Objective.
The Subjective assessment evaluates attendance, participation, wearing of uniforms, behavior and skills.
The Objective assessment looks at fitness (respiratory and cardiac assessment, muscle strength, muscular endurance, flexibility and fitness), in addition to a practical test.
The Jiu-Jitsu Schools Program is implemented in more than 130 public schools in Abu Dhabi, benefiting more than 76,000 students at the mental, physical, emotional and social levels.
The curriculum was designed to support the development of technical skills and a strong character in each student, through active learning and play. This is not limited to the students’ actual sporting abilities, but also encourages a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards the sport. The program enriches the lives of students b y promoting pride, discipline and commitment to the values. The target is to expand the program to cover 140 schools affiliated with the Abu Dhabi Education Council, which will benefit more than 46,000 students.
Jiu-Jitsu School Clubs
Jiu-Jitsu school clubs provide training centers for elite students who have a keen interest in the sport. The training centers are located in specific schools in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and the Western Region. Each center provides high-level training facilities.
Events and tournaments
Each student participating in the program’s extra-curricular activities has the opportunity to take part in Jiu-Jitsu competitions throughout the school year. The UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation organizes an annual program of school events and competitions to enable students to participate in local and international championships.